Looking for somthing you once saw here?

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

When the Breadman Delivers

The day we brought Peter home from the hospital was our first visit from the bread man. The doorbell rang and there was a man at the door that I vaguely recognized.  He was a neighbor that I had only met a few times and had a few chats in the backyard with while the children played.  He knew that we had a large family and was wondering if we might like some bread.  It turns out his father is a delivery driver for Pepperidge Farms.  When there is "outdated" bread, they are allowed to take it and distribute it however they see fit.  We said that we could use some bread and were amazed at the quality, quantity, and variety of breads and crackers he gifted to us.

Since that first visit, he has returned about every other month offering us as much bread as we can take.  We have had the opportunity to share from our surplus with other families we know.  This has been such a blessing to us!

Take a peek at some photos Todd took last month.

We were amazed at how many boxes he had for us!

Sorting it out and dividing it to keep and give to friends.

The freezer we got for free from the neighbors has become the "Bread Freezer"
I once heard that when life gives you bread, you make sandwiches...or maybe it was something about lemons and lemon-aide, but you get the idea.  I am trying to be creative about different ways to eat bread, bagels and buns, but honestly I am about out of ideas. We've done sandwiches, garlic bread, hot dogs, burgers, chicken patties, grilled cheese, toast, French toast...any new ideas for me?

God Bless!

Heather :-)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Heather...Wow...what a blessing! I am not sure if I have any new ideas for you, but we love pizza burgers here in this house. A simple english muffin, bagel, or even slice of bread topped with pizza sauce and cheese, or a sliced tomato and cheese, or even tuna and cheese in the oven until just melted and bubbly...yummmm! Oh my, I haven't even had my breakfast yet! : ) Anyway, Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how about bread pudding? Just cut up bread in a buttered cake pan, combine milk eggs and sugar (1 egg for every cup of milk, sugar to taste) add vanilla or cinnamon. Then bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 350.
    You can add fruit (frozen, fresh or dried) chocolate chips etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not personally a huge fan of bread pudding, but my mother is. We'll have to make some next time she comes to visit. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  3. Eureka! What an amazing gift to receive and pass along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing on Friday. I saw a bunch of happy families bring a loaf or two home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet of that neighbor man to think of you. I used to work for a food broker, so we were able to get lots of free food, too. Good stuff! The only idea I have that wasn't mentioned is a breakfast casserole. Stale bread is perfect for it. Eggs, cheese, and meat being the other ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mention this. I just made an egg bake on Christmas morning and it used up 3/4 of a loaf. Great minds think alike!

      Delete

Let me know what you're thinking. I'd love to hear from you!