Looking for somthing you once saw here?

Friday, February 4, 2011

UnPlanned - Book Review

UnPlanned by Abby Johnson is a must read for anyone fighting on the Pro-Life battle ground.  The minute I heard about the book, I hopped online and ordered it.  I was anxious to read Abby's story and discover what exactly happened in her life that made her leave her position as director of a Planned Parenthood clinic and become a very outspoken Pro-Life advocate.

The book is written in a conversational tone as if she's speaking to you the whole time.  I must admit, that prior to reading this book, I had no idea what would possess a person to want to give of themselves in any way to the Planned Parenthood organization.  Abby helped me realize that the majority of people working within the organization genuinely believe that they are doing a service to women by having abortions available.  I also didn't understand that there probably are some good things happening under the roofs of Planned Parenthood clinics such as counseling for abused women and adoption service referrals.  But I quickly reminded myself that these same good services are available at any Pro-Life clinic without contraception or abortion.

Abby was recruited as a volunteer while she was in college under the "we're trying to reduce the number of abortions" line, and she fell for it.  She gave the next 8 years of her life to Planned Parenthood before finally realizing that she could no longer be a part of an organization who put a price tag on the ending of human lives.  In the end, it was the peaceful, prayerful Pro-Lifers that she ran to in her hour of need.  She realized that they weren't the demons they'd been made out to be and really were there to help women in need - both mother and baby.

My one concern is that, even at the end of the book, Abby is still a big supporter of contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancy.  I pray that she'll soon come to understand the huge link between contraception mentality and how it quickly leads to abortion when any given contraception method fails.

I highly suggest getting your hands on a copy of this book, reading it, and passing it along.  My copy is making its way through my Pro-Life committee at church.  I would really like for us all to sit down and talk about it once we've all read it.  Abby's ability to share her life story will win hearts for the Pro-Life cause.

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book.

God Bless!

Heather :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking. I'd love to hear from you!