Looking for somthing you once saw here?

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Cooking with My Boy

Sometimes, I forget that children need to learn how to do things.  I'll say something like, "Joseph, come help me make hamburgers." To which he'll reply, "Ummm...can't we just eat the ones that come  ready made?"  Sigh.  Confession time.  I used to make almost everything "home made".  I would make judgements in my head about those other moms who filled their carts with frozen/pre-made items at the grocery store and think to myself how much more nutritious my made from scratch meals were.  Of course, I only had a couple of children at that time and plenty of time to spend in the kitchen.  Fast forward a few years and I'm that mom loading my cart with pre-made, frozen items that cook up with minimal preparation.  And, I'm okay with that...for the most part.  But, some things taste just so much better that I find the time to make them from scratch.  Hamburger patties are that way.

This morning I had Joseph help me make hamburgers for the freezer.  After all was said and done, I asked him what he thought about the process.  He said, "It's pretty gross.  But now I know I understand the process."  Yep.  I agree!

Steak Burgers
1 - 1.5 pounds ground meat (I usually use ground turkey and do 5 pound batches)
1 Tbsp mustard
3/4 tsp dried oregano
3 Tbsp steak sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp finely minced onion

Combine all ingredients in large bowl - mix very well. Form into patties.  Either grill up right away or wrap in Saran Wrap and freeze for later.

Gather all your ingredients.  My FAV tool in the kitchen - my mini food processor.  I used it any time I have to finely chop anything!

Put 1/2 of meat in bowl.  Dump spices on top.

Add second half of meat.

Why am I putting these gloves on????

Oh yeah.  So I don't get burger yuck stuck under my nails!

Lay out pieces of Saran Wrap to put patties on.

Let Mom get in there and really mix it all up!

Make into patties, wrap in cling wrap, and set on cookie sheet.
Top with another cookie sheet and put in freezer over night.  Then transfer to freezer bag for easier storage.

Easy-peasy!  Now put them in the freezer and pull out when you have a perfect summer evening to grill some burgers!

God Bless!

Heather :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking. I'd love to hear from you!