Looking for somthing you once saw here?

Thursday, July 19, 2012

14 Years of Wedded Bliss

July 18, 1998
Todd and I celebrated 14 years of marriage yesterday.  I honestly cannot believe how quickly that many years can fly by!  I remember being 14 years old (which doesn't seem all that long ago) and now I've been married that long!  It's funny how I still picture myself looking the way I do in that photograph above.  And then I take a closer look and realize that there are wrinkles, grey hairs, and a few extra pounds of padding in various places on my body.  Do you ever catch yourself visualizing a younger you?

We have grown so much over these past 14 years.  We mentor engaged couples through our church and have ample opportunity to reflect on where we started out, assess where we currently are, and visualize where we want to be.  Through God's grace, we'll get there together!

And of course there are the children...all 7 of them!  Todd asked me yesterday if I ever imagined we'd have 7 children in 14 years.  We both wanted a large family, but didn't really know what large meant.  I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to raise these children to give glory and honor to God.  I am truly enjoying the people that they are becoming.  It is fun to watch their personalities emerge and see their talents develop.  I am excited to see what the future holds for each of them.

It is good to take a step back occasionally and count my blessings.  Living in the trenches of mothering many, I sometimes feel overwhelmed and focus only on what I didn't get done or did poorly.  I must remember to let go and let God work His graces through me. Today is one of those days.  I feel so tremendously blessed to be living my life with my best friend and all of our children.  I pray that God will bless us with many more years together and eternity in Heaven.

God Bless!

Heather :-)

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture, Heather! Yes, I had to chuckle when you asked about picturing yourself as a younger person until you look closer in the mirror. So true!

    Congratulations on your 14 years of marriage. May God continue to bless and keep you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and right back at you. You've got a couple extra married years under your belt, so I'll continue to look to you for guidance...no pressure! :-)

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary!! We just hit 5 and it feels like 2. So I can't even imagine what 14 will be like. And the children! So AWESOME!! I always wanted a big family and can't wait to see how many I end up with :) Since you like cleaning, want to come over this afternoon and get my kitchen stage-worthy?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just put our house back on the market. I am dreading the showings, but know they are a necessary evil. Keep positive. It just takes the right person to walk through and they won't care if it isn't perfectly cleaned. I'll keep you in my prayers - you'll get through this!

      Delete
  3. Oh my, 14 years! Happy Anniversary to you!! When I think of you, I do "see" that same younger you . . . only the new and improved version with all you have become today!! Best wishes to you, Todd, and your growing family for a lifetime of good health and great happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe it's been 14 years? Thanks for still seeing the young me! :-)

      Delete
  4. Happy Anniversary to you and your dear husband, Heather! I loved your reflection and the grace you had to step back and count your blessings. Yes, this can be hard to do for us Mamas that are hard on ourselves. Your husband and seven sweeties are blessed to have beautiful you:) God bless you in your ministry to engaged couples too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's all us blogging mamas that help each other get through all this craziness. I continue to get inspiration from all of you each day.

      Delete

Let me know what you're thinking. I'd love to hear from you!