Looking for somthing you once saw here?

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Kids Who Care - Fetal Development Meeting

Our pro-life children's group had their monthly meeting this afternoon.  Because this month is the anniversary of Roe v. Wade and much attention is on the issue of abortion, I decided to talk about fetal development.  The word "abortion" never came up, but rather we looked at pictures of babies at varying stages of development and marveled at how a single cell can can divide, multiply, and finally grow into an easily recognizably human so quickly.  I put together some posters from magazines that I had and the children hung them on the wall in order from conception to birth.  It worked out really well and we had some good discussion about how babies grow and prepare for life outside of the womb. 

With all 9 months of development hanging on the wall behind them, the children munch on their cookies and prepare to listen to a story.

I also read the group one of my very favorite books.  Angel in the Waters by Regina Doman is a fabulously written story about a baby, his development within the womb, and his voyage into life on the outside.


We all drove over to the local Birthright which is just a block away from our church for a quick tour.  I wanted the children to know that there is a place right in our town that helps moms.  They have formula, diapers, clothing (maternity and infant), blankets, and various other resources to support mothers.  At next month's meeting, we are making blankets to donate to Birthright.

I feel like the meeting went well and the children learned a few new things about how babies develop.  I'm really trying to stay focused on the quality of our group and not the quantity of members as it was just the standard three families who were there today.  I started this group because I wanted there to be something for the entire family to attend.  So many groups, clubs, and meetings are age or gender specific which makes it difficult for large families to join.  Every time I talk to people about joining us, they sound supportive, but the conversation always ends with something to the effect of, "We're just so busy we couldn't possibly add one more thing."  It is sad that there are countless hours devoted to sporting events and groups and clubs of all sorts, but when it comes to adding something at church, there just aren't enough hours in the day to make it work.  Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now...sorry, I just had to get that off my chest!

Our family plans to attend the Mass for Life at the Cathedral of St. Paul next weekend for the Mass marking the 39th anniversary of Roe v. Wade.  Winter has descended upon the Land of 10,000 Lakes with a vengeance, but if it warms up a bit, we'll also attend the rally at the capital in the afternoon.  Most likely, though, we'll be heading home after Mass.

God Bless!

Heather :-)


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love how you instill this thought into the hearts of your children! Keep up the good work, Mom!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I'd love to hear from you!