Looking for somthing you once saw here?

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Treading Water and Putting Out Fires


Treading Water
Use only if you are awaiting rescue
Stroke that keeps head just above water

Those were some tips I found when I googled "treading water".  I must admit, that I've been feeling a little like this the past few days.  Todd and I were gone last Wednesday afternoon until Sunday afternoon.  It was wonderful to be away together, but it is so hard to get back into routine again after a break from it.

Monday morning brought an unexpected trip to the doctor for Esther.  Turns out she had a double ear infection...ouch!  By the time we all got to the doctor, to the store to get the medicine, and returned home, the morning was shot.  There went the great start back into our routine!

Do you ever feel like you're just running around putting out one fire after another?  Trying to determine which fire is "burning the hottest" and needs your attention first?  My week has been like that.
Eleanor is almost potty trained....almost is the key word there!  She is doing remarkably well, I must admit. (thanks grandmas!)  But, it is one more thing that I have to remember to do.  And if I forget to have her sit on the potty, I am quickly reminded by, "Mommy, I goed in my big-girl undies.  I need a new pair."  ugh!

Monday night was our third meeting with our engaged couple that we're mentoring for Church.  Todd and I really enjoy doing this.  They are a great couple and it is neat to help them grow and prepare for their sacramental marriage.  But, that took up the entire evening...no time for me to do anything else.

On Tuesday night I had to bail on my on-line bible study that I co-facilitate.  That was incredibly hard for me to do.  But I had to process our credit card sales from the weekend and couldn't find any other time to do it.  What a mixed blessing - we did really well with our sales, but processing them takes time.  And there is no payment without the processing.

We woke up this morning to a showing request for the house at 2:30.  We have been praying for almost a year for the house to sell, so we never refuse a showing.  We did get our Math done and Madeline did some work with Lillian, but that was the end of anything "academic".  The rest of the day was "domestic" studies.  I am so proud of the children.  They really pitched in and we got the house in tip-top shape.  If this family doesn't like the house, it's not because it wasn't ready to be viewed. (as a side note...I just discovered that our vacuum hose is broken...so it didn't work...frustrating!  I LOVE to vacuum, so that bummed me out!)

We head out early tomorrow for our home school co-op.  We leave at 7:30 so that we're able to attend daily Mass before the children's classes begin.  Then we eat our lunch in the car and get the girls home just in time to go to their art class.

I'm really not trying to complain.  I am incredibly blessed and I count my blessings every day.  It's just that the image of treading water has been with me all week.  Not making any forward progress.  Waiting to be rescued.  Just keeping my head above water. 
I'm sure that you all can relate.  I know this season will pass and there will come a time when I once again can make forward progress.  Until then, I'll keep praying for the strength to stay positive and take care of this amazing family that the good Lord has entrusted to me.

God Bless!

Heather :-)

3 comments:

  1. Heather,
    First of all, I LOVE your blogs!!! It makes me feel so connected to all of you whom I miss so much! Next, you are so totally awesome and I am quite certain that in no time, things will be running smoothly again with you in charge. Good luck with you house and kisses and hugs to all of your sweetie-pies!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! That is a horrible week! When it rains it pours, doesn't it? Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there! Prayers for you.:) We have been on "Spring Break" since all the kids started getting sick with the flu last Thursday. It's actually been wonderful to have a break. We've done a lot of reading aloud, documentaries via Netflix instant streaming, and crafting. I can't wait for you to see my latest projects!;) Love to you all.:)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I'd love to hear from you!