Looking for somthing you once saw here?

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Our Lenten Preparations

Today, we spent our day preparing our hearts and home for the Lenten season.

We made this Alleluia sign and talked about how we won't be singing the Alleluia until Easter. (idea for the banner taken from Catholic Icing)

Next we made a crown of thorns out of a salt/flour dough.  I found this idea in so many places, that I really can't give credit to anyone.  It turned out great....except...we can't get the toothpicks out!  The idea is that you remove one of the toothpicks (symbolizing our sins) from the crown each time you do a good deed or sacrifice.  So, I guess we'll try again tomorrow!

Our plan is to remove all the thorns with our good deeds and sacrifices.  Once all of the thorns are removed, we'll begin adding flowers to turn it into a resurrection crown.  Hopefully I'll remember to post a picture of it after Easter.
We moved on to our Lenten lap book.  We didn't get it done, but got a good start on it.  We included a calendar to keep track of where we're at in our Lenten journey, definitions of fasting, almsgiving, and prayer, and what the children are going to do less/more of to help them grow closer to Jesus these next 40 days.

Lastly, for supper I made Mardi Gras pancakes. (another idea taken from Catholic Icing...LOVE that site!)  I made my pancakes as usual and then added some food coloring to have gold, green, and violet pancakes.  I didn't want to go nuts on the food coloring and my pancakes are whole wheat, so the colors weren't as vibrant as I had hoped.  But, the children got the idea.
Joseph thought it was cool!
Eleanor wasn't so sure about green pancakes!
Tomorrow morning we'll go to Mass and then finish our preparations for the Hearts at Home Conference in Illinois.  The weather is iffy, but it's starting to look like it will work out okay.  The grandmas are coming to stay with the children and I know they will be in loving and able hands while Todd and I are away.  But, I still get sad being away and am pretty sure I'll shed at least a few tears as we pull out of the driveway.  Your prayers for our family would be greatly appreciated.

I hope that you are all ready for your Lenten journey to begin.  May God bless you these next weeks and help you to grow closer to His son Jesus.

God Bless!

Heather :-)

3 comments:

  1. I love Catholic Icing, too! Great site...prayers for a safe journey and a blessed Lent to all of you.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Heather!

    Appreciated your post about Lent. We had hoped to make it to the noon Ashes service today, but Sarah is still too sick to go out. Here is a post I found on one of our favorite sites, which lists some other great resources and ideas.

    http://whatsinthebible.com/2011/03/09/practicing-lent-as-a-family/

    Have a great trip this weekend - we're praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Eleanor's face in that pic!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I'd love to hear from you!