Looking for somthing you once saw here?

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Our Lady of the Rosary

Pray for us!

I am working to develop a deep love for our Blessed Mother in our home.  One of the best ways to accomplish this, I believe, is to pray the rosary as a family.  I started out a few years back with great expectations of us all kneeling in prayerful silence while I led the rosary and the children responded with reverence and awe.  Yeah, I know - WAKE UP!  That's not reality.  So, I had to figure out what could work.  I decided that we would pray one decade each day.  I made a rosary on a poster board that looks like this.

We placed the first Glorious Mystery - The Resurrection - on the board this morning.  This is a great way for the younger children to become familiar with and eventually memorize all of the mysteries of the rosary.

Each day, we place a 4 x 6 inch picture of that mystery next to the corresponding beads.  I read a short meditation on that mystery and we recite the prayers for that decade.  I wish that I could report the children sit perfectly still and really meditate for the 3-5 minutes of rosary time, but this is the reality in our house.


You can see the 2 1/2 year old doing a puzzle, the baby climbing on the otherwise attentive 10 year old, the 5 year old picking something off the cuff of her pants, and the 8 year old giving the evil eye to her brother who is messing around with his rosary.  But, despite the struggle, we do this every day.  The children and I know that our Loving Mother enjoys our time and will lead us closer to her son, Jesus.

God Bless!

Heather :-)