Looking for somthing you once saw here?

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Prayer Rocks for Family Alter

We have a family alter in our house.  Ours is very simple.  It houses the bible, a crucifix, a plant, and prayer rocks.  Prayer rocks?!  What are they?  Well, they are just some river rocks I picked up at the craft store with specific prayer intentions written on them with a permanent marker.  When we have our family night (usually Sunday) we discuss if there are any more prayer intentions to be added to our bowl.  For example, each person in our house has his or her name written on a rock.  Some other things on our rocks are for more priests, souls in purgatory, end to abortion, etc.  After we add any new intentions, we light the candle and say our nightly prayers.   We pray specifically for the purpose of the things written on our prayer rocks.  The kids enjoy having the candle lit and it adds a different feeling to our nightly prayers.

I picked up a glass bowl, pillar candle and two bags of river rocks at Michael's.  Everything was on sale and I used a 40% off coupon!

Here's a close-up of the prayer rocks and what the family alter looks like.

Do you have places set aside in your home to help center and focus your prayer?  I'd love to hear how this happens in other homes.  I should also say that the idea for the prayer rocks is not my own.  I saw it somewhere else and tweaked it to fit our family.

God Bless!

Heather :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking. I'd love to hear from you!