Looking for somthing you once saw here?

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Why all the hate and anger?

I have been following a story about Rick Santorum and his family the past few days.  Some years back, his wife delivered a baby who lived only 2 hours.  After spending the night with their child, they chose to bring the baby, Gabriel, home so that their other children could meet their brother.  Then they arranged for a proper burial.  Nothing seems out of the ordinary to me.  I thought it was wonderful that they took time to make sure all members of the family were able to spend time with and say good-bye to this child who was taken to heaven much sooner than anyone had anticipated.  But this is not how it is being portrayed across the internet.

To see what I'm talking about, you can read an article and take a peek at the interview here.  The interview in itself if a bit disturbing.  I don't think for a minute that the Santorum's took their deceased child home to "play with him", yet that is the verbiage that has caught on all over the internet.  I am amazed and appalled at the number of people who have commented how "crazy", "weird", "morbid", or even "disgusted" they feel about the way the Santorum family dealt with the loss of their newborn son. 

There has been much ink spilled over this interview and I am sure that I have nothing new or unique to add to the discussion.  But I am stuck on this one point...why are people so hateful and angry at the Santorums for the way they chose to mourn the loss of their child?  I am unaware of any correct way to mourn or grieve the loss of a child and can only pray that those judging this family never have to experience such a tremendous loss first hand. 


And we urge you, beloved, to admonish the idlers, encourage the faint-hearted, help the weak, be patient with all of them. See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise the words of prophets,but test everything; hold fast to what is good; abstain from every form of evil. ~ 1Thessalonians 5:14-22

Please join me in taking this as an opportunity to pray.  We must pray that all life, from conception to natural death, is valued, respected, and protected.  Prayer is also needed to bring comfort to all parents who have lost a child, at any age or stage of development.  Prayer is a mighty and powerful tool that we as Christians must remember to use.

God Bless!

Heather :-)

3 comments:

  1. This strange conversation in the media has been bothering me as well. The Santorum's love for their children is beautiful. I think we are just seeing the effects of a world that kills love as a matter of course. The media apparently can't find a whole lot of ammo against Santorum... so they have to attack the love he has for his children. Joining you in prayer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sis-in-law had a baby die during labor. He had trisomy 18. They spent the whole day with him afterwards, even taking him to the park. I can't believe anyone finds that repulsive or weird.
    I think Melody is right, especially about it being the effects of a world that doesn't value life. And one that doesn't understand either love or suffering.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I'd love to hear from you!